April 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Please Read - Looking for Sponsorship People

Go down

Please Read - Looking for Sponsorship People

Post by BoneyD on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 am

Hey Everyone

As some of you may or may not know, but back on June 16th 2008 I received a life saving double lung transplant due to being in the end stages of Cystic Fibrosis. I had basically been told i'd got 2 years to live unless I got a transplant due to the amount of damage my lungs had taken from constant chest infections and pretty much that one more nasty infection could have been the end for me.

Now to prove that I'm putting these new lungs to good use, I'm taking on the challenge of the Reading Half Marathon on the 29th March 2009 (yes in just 13 days time). I'll be running / walking the 13 and half miles with a number of friends / family in order to try and raise money for the 2 hospitals that have helped keep me alive for so long.

I'd really appreciate it if you would be kind enough to sponsor me either on 1 charity or both of them - You can do this online and the Money goes straight to the Hospitals.

Harefield Hospital (which is where I received my lifesaving transplant) - http://www.justgiving.com/boneys_transplant

or

Oxford Churchill Cystic Fibrosis Unit (who have done a terrific job in keeping me alive for so long) - http://www.justgiving.com/boneys_cf

I know things are tight for people at the moment, but every little helps and they are 2 very worthwhile causes. If not could I ask you to consider becoming an Organ Donor at http://www.uktransplant.org.uk

For those of you who aren't aware of what Cystic Fibrosis is :
Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is the UK's most common life-threatening inherited disease and affects over 8,000 people in the UK. Over two million people in the UK carry the faulty gene that causes Cystic Fibrosis - around 1 in 25 of the population. If two carriers have a child, the baby has a 1 in 4 chance of having Cystic Fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis affects the internal organs, especially the lungs and digestive system, by clogging them with thick sticky mucus. This makes it hard to breathe and digest food. Each week, five babies are born with Cystic Fibrosis. Each week, three young lives are lost to Cystic Fibrosis. Average life expectancy is around 31 years, although improvements in treatments mean a baby born today could expect to live for longer.

Thanks
Adam (Boney)

BoneyD
Semi_Pro
Semi_Pro

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down